Tiny House Regulations Washington State

Last updated on February 7th, 2020 at 05:47 pm

Please Note that the following Link also Includes ADU Updates for the State of Oregon.

ADU’s are commonly known as Accessory Dwelling Units in Building Code and Zoning Regulation terms.  They are typically found in backyards of a property where a main Home has already been established. Homeowners can seek and be approved for ADU’s if they want to add a separate livable building on the property such as small cabins, garage apartments, or Mother In Law Suites. Please check with your local Building Officials to learn if they are allowed in your particular area.

Tiny houses are popular in Washington State, with many cities that allow them as ADUs. However, those with tiny houses on wheels may find it more difficult to find a place to park legally.


Washington State ADU Updates