- Tiny house regulations and codes may vary by city, town, or county.
- Spearfish, South Dakota:
- A permanent tiny house on foundations that is building code compliant is permitted in all residential zoning districts in Spearfish.
- A temporary tiny house on wheels can be located on any commercial campground in Spearfish.
- Beresford, South Dakota:
- The exterior width of the tiny house can’t be less than 8.5 feet or more than 20 feet.
- The minimum size is 187 square feet with no less than 50 additional square feet per additional person.
- Tiny homes that are not on wheels must be secured on a foundation.
- A tiny house on wheels must be secured to a licensed trailer.
- A tiny house must be tightly secured to the ground when parked in order to withstand weather. Learn more here (page 44, section 12.5).
South Dakota has made huge inroads in regulating tiny houses. Places like Spearfish and Beresford are great examples of communities that specifically address tiny houses in their ordinances. Over the next few years,hopefully we can expect other towns and cities in South Dakota to follow suit.