Tiny House Friendly: 3/10
- Tiny house regulations and codes may vary by city, town, or county.
- ADUs (accessory dwelling units) are allowed in many towns and cities in Massachusetts. See the full list here.
- Specifications of an ADU are specific to each city or town.
- Nantucket allows a third dwelling of up to 550 square feet.
- Tiny houses on wheels are more difficult because the state hasn’t clearly addressed or defined what they are.
While it’s more difficult to own a tiny house on wheels in Massachusetts, owning a tiny on foundations as an ADU doesn’t appear to be a problem. Camping in an RV park in a tiny house on wheels shouldn’t be an issue, however, camping for an extended period of time could be.
Auburn MA Passed Tiny House Ordinance to allow Tiny House, however, this appears to be special request to allow an Elderly Grandmother to live in a Tiny House on the same property as the Caregiver.
If you would like to review regulations for another state, click here