Tiny House Friendly: 8⁄10
- Tiny house regulations and codes may vary by city, town, or county.
- ADUs (accessory dwelling units) are allowed in many towns and cities in Massachusetts. See the full list here.
- Specifications of an ADU are specific to each city or town.
- Nantucket allows a third dwelling of up to 550 square feet.
- Tiny houses on wheels are more difficult because the state hasn’t clearly addressed or defined what they are.
While it’s more difficult to own a tiny house on wheels in Massachusetts, owning a tiny on foundations as an ADU doesn’t appear to be a problem. Camping in an RV park in a tiny house on wheels shouldn’t be an issue, however, camping for an extended period of time could be.
If you would like to review regulations for another state, click here