Tiny House Friendly: 8⁄10
- Tiny house regulations and codes may vary by city, town, or county.
- Decatur adopted a Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) in 2014 that does not require an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) to have a minimum square footage.
- In Atlanta, guest houses are currently allowed in all R-1 through R-5 zoning districts. Keep in mind, installing a stove or allowing someone to stay there full-time changes the classification from guest house to ADU. ADUs are only allowed in the R-5 district.
- In most zoning districts, it’s illegal to rent out an ADU.
- Tiny houses on wheels have yet to be defined in most zoning ordinances.
- Almost all jurisdictions in Georgia abide by the 2012 International Residential Code in terms of building codes.
The tiny house movement is moving faster than local municipalities can change zoning regulations and building codes.
If you would like to review regulations for another state, click here