California Information Bulletin on Tiny Houses/Cabins: http://americantinyhouseassociation.org/state-of-californi…/
Special Thanks to the American Tiny House Association for providing this list. These are the most recent updates for the State of California and those jurisdictions Allowing. This list is comprehensive.
Tiny House Friendly: 7⁄10
- Tiny house regulations and codes may vary by city, town, or county.
- Most cities in California allow tiny houses as accessory dwelling units (ADUs).
- Fresno is the first city in the country to approve tiny houses on wheels as secondary dwelling units in residential neighborhoods.
- San Francisco is another city that now allows secondary dwelling units.
- California Title 25 does not allow the use of a recreational vehicle to be used as a
- dwelling unit.
- In response to the Sonoma County wildfires, local ordinances allowed persons displaced by the fire to live in RVs or tiny houses outside the burn zones temporarily and without permits.
A tiny house friendly state, California is also one of the most popular states for nomads living in their vehicles–despite not being legal. The California Health and Safety Code defines a Recreational vehicle as a motor home, travel trailer, truck camper, or camping trailer, with or without motive power, designed for human habitation for recreational purposes. Legal or not, California continues to be popular for people who live in their camper vans. Specifics may vary by city and county, but as a whole, California appears to support living in a tiny house.
San Luis Obispo California Now allowing Tiny Houses On Wheels for Homeless Veterans
If you would like to review regulations for another state, click here